Personally, I like the decentralized model of energy generation. It bypasses choke points and energy markets that can be manipulated. Since energy is an input for all material goods it can act as a private tax.
However, large industrial facilities have large scale energy needs. Space solar can tap into the suns energy 24-7. With complimentary technologies such as wireless energy transmission, transportation technologies can be freed from dragging along an energy source as a payload. This approach will become essential for space elevators and could revolutionize the commercial aircraft industry.
If your job is boring, you can be replaced by narrow AI. That’s the relatively cheap easy Artificial Intelligence that just needs a set of instructions (more or less). Perhaps you’ve already read about this in Martin Ford’s The Lights In The Tunnel where he explores some of the economic consequences of job destruction through automation.
We are closing in on a more powerful technology which could have even greater economic impact. AGI as embodied by Whole Brain Emulation is a more powerful version of AI that has more plasticity. Whole brain emulation will allow machines to make broader more fluid decisions/actions and perform a wider range of occupations. Robin Hanson looks at this disruptive impact of this technology. It could be the most disruptive technology heading our way in the next few decades.
Have you heard about programmable sand? aka Claytronics.
A seed can grow a redwood tree. Can synthetic biology grow other megastructures?
What would you like to see from Project Glass aka Google Glasses?
- I would like to see AR LARP game apps.
- I would like apps that guide me through home improvement and auto repair tasks.
- I would like AR cooking apps that can guide me through various recipes.
- I would like an AR shopping app that offers information about products like nutrition, diet, price comparison, and ethical business practices.
- I would like enhanced vision like magnification (microscope & telescope) and night vision.
- I would like an encyclopedia or Wikipedia AR app.
- I would like a flight recorder app that’s stored on the cloud, as a crime deterrence.
- I would like a face recognition app that not only stores information about personal contacts but also has information about criminals or people I want to avoid.
- I would like an app that helps with sports, such as a speedometer for jogging or something that tracks baseballs, golf balls, soccer balls and etc.